Thursday, November 7, 2013

Why host an Art Show?

I've had to ask myself this question a few times. Why did I spend all of the time, energy, and considerable expense, to set up an Art Exhibit? My insecure side wonders why I  would set myself up for possible rejection, perhaps having people tell me my photography stinks, criticize every photo, or worse yet, not come to see my exhibit at all? 

I was asked almost two years ago, while doing an outdoor photography show and sale in Turner Valley, if I'd be interested in doing an exhibit of my work in the Sheep River LIbrary. I was very excited by the idea, and it took all this time to finally be able to present my exhibit. I am honoured that I get to have a month long exhibit, because I often visit the art exhibits in the Library, and there is a great deal of local talent out there. So if my photography is considered nice enough for a month long exhibit, I'm honoured indeed.

I've always loved to visit galleries, and art exhibits. When I traveled to the UK, I visited many galleries, taking in photography, paintings, and art from many different eras, and of many subjects. When I moved to Calgary, and I wandered the streets discovering the city, I stopped by many exhibits, and galleries.

I remember my feeling of anger and rejection when a few gallery curators told me that photography wasn't art. Then I remember discovering Art Central, near Inglewood where we lived, and meeting some Artist's there that were encouraging, and supportive, who ensured me that photography could indeed be art. I remember attending Artist Receptions at Art Central for up-and-coming Artist's, and thinking how wonderful it would be to do a show of my own one day. 

It was a lot of work to put together, months of preparation, and significant expense, to create and present all of my favourite pieces, but I hope it will be worth it.

I won't lie when I say that one of the reasons for having an art show is to hopefully sell a few pieces, because that would be cool, (and also a great honour, knowing someone likes your art well enough to buy it, and hang it on their wall).
Perhaps it's also a bit of a publicity stunt, a way to promote my business. It could also be said it's a bit of a ego booster, and even a way to say "Hey, I did it. Photography is Art", to all of the nay-sayers.

But the real reason why I create, and why other Artists create, and then are crazy enough to share their work, is deeper than all of those things. Artists, be they creators of music, paintings, photography or other art, hope to move people, and stir something within.

Perhaps my images will stir a memory, be thought provoking, or strike up a conversation. Maybe they are merely enjoyable, a way for people to pass some time. 
And maybe, just maybe, one of my images might be inspiring to somebody, somewhere. If that is the case, then I am happy. So many images, paintings, works of art, and music, move, and inspire me. I only hope I might do the same, even on a small level. 

And that is why I, and other Artists make the decision to share. We create because something moved us, and made us feel. We hope to share those feelings with others, captivating their imagination the way our's was, helping people to see things through a new perspective, or remember an experience of their own. 


At the very least, I hope those who take the time to visit my exhibit, will find it enjoyable.


On a side note, I just discovered an article saying that Art Central is closing down. Sad news. May they find new venues. http://www.avenuecalgary.com/blogs/art-central-where-are-they-now

No comments:

Post a Comment