Sunday, May 27, 2012

Hike and Fishing Trip-Sunday, October 25th, 2009


As Sunday was a decent day, and it was everyone's day off, another Fishing Trip was planned. This time out on the Ocean for Halibut.
I really wanted to go fishing too, but I refused to take Brodie out in a open boat on the open sea. So Brodie and I stayed behind. 
Josh went, and caught a Halibut, and another kind of fish. Everyone had a good time, but it was very cold, and the water was quite rough, so I was glad I didn't go after all.
After Brodie had his nap, we went for a walk to the beach. It seemed nice when we started out, but as we hiked it got pretty windy. 
We saw a fox on the hike. Brodie liked that. There are lots of foxes on this island, brought here by the Russians. There are no other predators for the foxes. I think they would have a hard living though, as there are no mice or rats, and I don't think there are rabbits. So they have to catch birds, which can be hard to catch.
Brodie and I walked along the beach. I collected a few volcanic rocks. The wind was really strong, and cold. The waves were pretty big as they crashed on the beach. We kept our distance.
Although I had dressed Brodie warmly, he became very cold. The temperature was above freezing, but the wind really robs body heat. So as we hiked back to the ranch, he cried pretty much the whole way. And it's a three mile hike. I felt bad, like a terrible mother. 
We finally made it, and not a moment too soon, because it started raining just then. I cuddled him and warmed him up in the cabin. 
Then we went to the ranch house, and feasted on halibut, the catch of the day. It was delicious!







No comments:

Post a Comment